Hi. I have been very interested in 3D modeling for a long time, and once I went to NVISION 08, I found Softimage’s booth. I order the one year educational edition, but like I said, IM TOTTALY NEW. And I have no idea where to start or what to do. I really need some help.
If you will take some advice from me, this is (how I think) is the best approach to learning any 3D application:
1. Read some theory about coordinate systems, general polygonal modeling, photography / cinematography (lighting and camera settings). Don’t read to much or you will loose it.
2. Experiment! Do crazy stuff in your application. Click buttons, use tools, crash your computer. You can learn much from this.
3. Start by modeling very simple objects, like a table, a LCD TV or something that you can watch while you work. (not watch whats on TV but the tv) Don’t think about surfaces and rendering, just form.
4. Try to make a fruit. Now add textures, maps, and lights, and try crazy things in your render settings.
5. Read as much as you can about your spesific application, and learn one app at the time! Don’t try to learn Zbrush, AfterEffects and Photoshop at the same time, and ceirtanly do not install Max! It will poison your computer! (kidding) Stick to ONE 3D app, and learn it well. Then it is easy enough to switch afterwards if you so desire.
5. After doing this for some time, you are ready to move on to more detailed areas of choice.
Good luck! Dont forget to post Work In Progress. If you don’t learn what you do wrong from the beginning, it is harder to backtrace when it has become a habit!
If you don’t want to post to the forums, send it to me! I can tear you apart if you like.
My mail adress is in my profile.