Publications by Alex Roman

1. Autodesk 3ds Max

1. Design Visualization

Project Links

1. Autodesk 3ds Max

Alex Roman- Photo

Alex Roman

I was born in 1979, in Alacant (Alicante), a city in Spain. I would first like to say that my real name is Jorge Seva, but I use 'Alex Roman' as an artistic alias for publishing independent work. After being trained in traditional painting at a few academies, I discovered this other world called CG. After school, I made the move to Madrid and began working at a visual effects company. That stint did not last too long due to the lack of demand for visual effects in the Spanish market at the time. It was then, that I switched into the VIZ business. I have been working for several companies since. Some time back, in partnership with Sergio Miruri, we had attempted to run our own company -- unfortunately, our efforts were not met with success. Currently, I work as a senior leading artist in a company based in Madrid. In parallel, I'm also working on an "already-built work" visualization series which will be stitched together into a short animated piece.

The area avatarThe Area:

We are meeting with a CG artist known as Alex Roman, whose real name is Jorge Seva. Welcome to the AREA -- could you please tell us about the nature of your pseudonym and what kind of work you do. Also, which name do you prefer us to use? ;-)

The area avatarAlex Roman:

A long time ago, I wanted to differentiate "Jorge Seva's" published work from a new parallel project. My actual "new" nick was "third.seventh". This makes reference to the third and seventh pillars of art: architecture and cinema. I had to add "Alex Roman" because a few portals demanded a conventional name in order to have artwork published. My first thoughts were of my little brother's name and my grandma’s last name. Hence, "Alex R". As for work, I do Architectural Visualization (ArchViz) as a senior 3D artist and regarding the name .... Alex is fine! :-)

Fuji House
Fuji House
Fuji House

The area avatarThe Area:

Your work is already beautiful in its minimalistic ways. But it's only when the realization that hits you, that you really do deliver the punch. None of the images are photographic, they are all CG based on existing references.

Let's take the "Fuji House" for example. There is an actual house on Mount Fuji in Japan that you’ve recreated. I had a hard time studying it, to analyze if it was 3D or not and I was convinced it was a set of photos you had taken until I saw the wireframes. Why did you pick this structure -- has the original architect, Satoshi Okada seen this work of yours?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

I have no idea! -- why this structure? I used to study contemporary architects (and some not-so comtemporary) in my free time and when I came across something that caught my eye or was a potential technical challenge, I would begin work on it. I guess this was one of them...

The area avatarThe Area:

Can you tell us how you went about recreating it? Did you use actual blueprints and keep to the exact dimensions and surrounding environment?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

Yes, indeed. I usually search for the proper blueprints inspite of the fact that there's not a lot of quality information of this kind. I start the process this way, but I end up doing lot of things my way taking "advantage" of the lack of information.

The area avatarThe Area:

What was the most challenging aspect of this particular project?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

Botanical research, both in real and CG terms. I had to create several different samples of each species while keeping the highest level of detail, and then still be able to render it all at once! It was quite hard.

The area avatarThe Area:

Which renderer did you use, any reason why it is your preference?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

I use V-Ray. Illumination has fascinated me since as long as I can remember: Years ago, it was quite difficult to simulate global ilumination by traditional techniques. So after trying several GI engines, I found V-Ray to be the best solution by far to suit all my needs in these terms.

The area avatarThe Area:

What did you use to create the foliage (grass, small plants, trees)? How heavy was the scene after all those trees and leaves?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

All the adult trees you see in the images have been generated by OnyxTree. Although it is old, I think it is still a wonderful appz. However, the wonderful results that Onyx produces also require a lot of texturing work in order to finish the job. Grass is generated via displacement shader plus a lot of texturing :) - I can't remember exactly how heavy it was since all trees were proxies (about 3000000 polys each) but the scene took finally around 5-6GB at rendertime.

Fuji House Foliage - Proxy

The area avatarThe Area:

How long did it take you to complete this project? Any Photoshop post work?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

This work took longer than I had initially planned. Most time spent was focused on botanical research. I do remember it was around a month and a half in freetime - there is no PShop work. I only used AfterEffects for some color correction and effects; what you see is what it is. The whole scene is there in every shot.

The area avatarThe Area:

What is the building currently used for? Does somebody live in it?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

I do believe it is a weekend residential getaway - I hope so! It must be a beautiful place to spend the weekend at :-)

The area avatarThe Area:

How that we have a better understanding of how you work, can you tell us how you started in the CG industry - and how long you've been working in it?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

I started long ago (1993) as a hobby. In 1999, I received a job offer to work in the VFX industry in a company based in Madrid. I moved and then started my professional career. Soon after, and due to the low demand in this market at the time, I had to move to the ArchViz field like many colleagues of my generation. I have been working on ArchViz since.

Osho - wireframe

The area avatarThe Area:

Do you remember the first computer you used and the first 3D app? How did you start playing in 3D?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

How can I forget :) My birthday gift was a PC 386 DX40 when I was fourteen, and then I started to play with an "old-fashioned" 3DStudio (2.01) for MS-DOS. I spent a lot of nights in front of it... :)

The area avatarThe Area:

What type of school education background do you have? What was your original life plan before discovering computers and CG?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

Artschools, mainly. I learned and practised several traditional painting techniques until I turned to CG.

The area avatarThe Area:

What did you do after finishing school?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

I directly moved to Madrid to start my professional CG career.

The area avatarThe Area:

Your initial interest was in visual effects, before focusing on design viz. Visual effects demand surely have caught up in the Spanish markets now, would you consider changing over to work in VFX?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

When I first discovered computer graphics I initially thought it has two points: cartoon and visual effects. I very much liked to watch cartoons, but not to "make" it so I accepted the first VFX offer I got -- yes, I think quite a lot about it lately...

Ryotaro Shiba Museum

The area avatarThe Area:

Going back to some of your other work: Terrasa, Osho, Ryotaro, and Auditorium; are they strictly professional work or personal as well?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

All of them are personal.

The area avatarThe Area:

Can you tell us a bit about each work? And also tell us about your ongoing 'already-built work' -- how this idea came to start and why you specifically choose the specific architectural work?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

All of this work is already built. They came through the same initial idea. I was fascinated by them for one reason or another when I came across their photographs. The first goal was to reproduce it for experimenting with new render engine technology improvements, to exercise composition, etc... Now, I am going to stitch them all together for other purposes than originally planned.

The area avatarThe Area:

What will be the outcome of the 'already built work' project?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

The main outcome will be an animated piece that will gather all the "old" work plus a few more new pieces of work. In the first place I will make it for personal and artistic reasons. Second, I will try to reproduce a different VIZ product concept. It will be an ArchViz example told in a cinematographic advertisement style.

The area avatarThe Area:

Asides from drawing on the style of minimalism, are there any artists or 'things' that influence your creative work? Do you like Japanese designs in particular?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

Yep, a lot. I consider Japanese architects to be really great "poets" of the minimalist style. I also look for inspiration from cinema directors, photographers, european comics as well as 19th century art movements (Neoclassicism, Orientalism, Art Nouveau, etc...)

The area avatarThe Area:

What has become of your business partner Sergio Miruri - will you two try again in the future to do your own company?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

Sergio and I are still working together at the same company – it’s not on our minds currently, but who knows :)

The area avatarThe Area:

For those who are considering to start a company as you have done - if you look back, why do you think that it did not work out and what would you have done differently?

The area avatarAlex Roman:

The main idea, in my opinion, is to be really sure about what kind of product you are offering. The most important thing is to deal with clients that truly demand and appreciate your work and not viceversa. I think that this was our big mistake.

Ryotaro Shiba Museum

The area avatarThe Area:

Thank you kindly for your time Alex and for sharing your amazing works with us on AREA ! :-)

The area avatarAlex Roman:

Thanks so much the AREA for the interview! :)

Making of the Auditorium Tutorial

Posted on: 23 April 2008 2:59 am

I have an Architecutral Engineering degree. I have a passion of sorts to be a composer of building systems and architectural design and I continue to study both engineering and architectural history. With all of that seemingly puffed-up commentary, I want you to know that YOUR work, beyond the centuries of architects I have studied, inspires me. You have taken technical information and given it a soul! Truly and unequivacably, beautiful is your thought and work! :-)

Posted on: 23 April 2008 3:06 am

Posted on: 23 April 2008 9:41 pm

positively breathtaking

Posted on: 24 April 2008 12:44 pm

its really good ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Posted on: 24 April 2008 11:14 pm

Cool journey

Posted on: 24 April 2008 11:51 pm

You're truly one of the best! Not only for the rendering quality but for the mood these images generate. 10 of 10.

Posted on: 25 April 2008 3:56 am

Español! toma ya!! jajajja!!! hace cuanto veo uno x aki!? jajajaj.... bueno precioso modelje es increible!... la "biblioteca-libreria" me ha encantado! saludos desde Madrid!

sonny g

Posted on: 25 April 2008 6:53 pm

Posted on: 25 April 2008 8:44 pm

wow! thats all i can really say.

Umer Javed

Posted on: 27 April 2008 1:00 am

... ... speechless, absolutely unbelievable...

Posted on: 27 April 2008 10:21 am

These are mind blowing works. One of the best works with very good details. These are not only detailsed but appealing too.

Posted on: 27 April 2008 12:21 pm

my eyes are bleeding WITH AMAZMENT

Posted on: 3 May 2008 7:20 am

Amazing works...honestly, a path to follow (well, with a lot in front. )

Posted on: 6 May 2008 3:09 pm

Does anyone know where i can find a keyboard shortcut guide or basic video tutorials for using Maya 2008 Extension 2 on osx?

Posted on: 6 May 2008 6:39 pm

nevermind, i was getting frustrated... i'm new to using a mac pro ;p

Posted on: 7 May 2008 2:06 am

Very nice work best I've seen in a while ^^

Posted on: 7 May 2008 10:44 am

This is the most realistic "natural" CG I've ever seen.

Posted on: 7 May 2008 10:14 pm

Posted on: 12 May 2008 9:25 pm

I admire your work. really i feel frustrated and discouraged after seeing your work. very realistic, very natural...very em....

IKA Omadze

Posted on: 24 May 2008 4:24 am

It's just great

Posted on: 28 May 2008 6:21 pm

matt andrew

Posted on: 29 May 2008 12:30 pm

sir, you are my idol.
this is the most realistic work i've ever seen.
i can only wish to create work as great as yours one day.

Jomar Machado

Posted on: 30 May 2008 4:38 am

Greats and skilled works.
Brilliant. Congrats!

waz mack

Posted on: 2 June 2008 6:11 pm

louis xavier

Posted on: 20 July 2008 12:27 pm

greatness: on a scale of 1 to 10........ a million!!!

Posted on: 11 August 2008 12:40 pm

what more to say.. the pictures, the determination all draw a new face on my "Heroes to follow List"

Posted on: 7 September 2008 4:31 pm

no words explain..... it's...brilliant & inspiring.....

Posted on: 29 September 2008 5:50 pm

this guy is an absolute legend!

Posted on: 12 November 2008 3:16 pm

The poly counts on those trees is psychotic!!!!!!! Very artistic. It has a photographic feel about it and it's some of the most realistic rendering I have ever seen. Well done sir

Posted on: 20 November 2008 5:19 pm

Am totally taken...they all look sooooo real!!!!

Posted on: 1 January 2009 11:53 pm

it's so real...........the Greatest scenes I've seen til this day

Posted on: 12 January 2009 5:40 am

Nice! What kind of lights did you use for the spotlights in Osho? They look very real!

Posted on: 9 February 2009 8:15 am

this guy i dont know what to say but i know what to say u r the Greatest

Posted on: 28 June 2009 3:43 pm

very very nice
its damn realistic

gud to see things like this

Posted on: 27 December 2009 7:19 am

Interesting how in many of the scenes the work is very little in modeling, almost entirely in careful materials and lighting. Great work!

Posted on: 30 December 2009 1:03 am

Posted on: 15 January 2010 7:52 pm

interesting composition and lighting conditions. I loved your work

Gary Smith

Posted on: 24 January 2010 11:44 pm

All of your work is breathtaking, truly remarkable. I can't wait to get half as good as you

Posted on: 30 January 2010 7:59 am

very nice...

Posted on: 8 February 2010 6:43 pm

Amazing stuff, but nothing compared to seeing it in motion, I found this video before this article, was hoping for more technical info on how they did this because it is truly breathtaking:

Increible amigos !

Jacob Allgayer

Posted on: 26 July 2010 12:34 pm

Man, I want to be just like you when I grow up! lol!

Jacob Allgayer

Posted on: 15 September 2010 4:12 pm

Alex, can you show your settings in V-Ray? The ones that you use for animations?

What equipment do you use?

Where can we find more of your works?

Posted on: 7 October 2010 2:52 pm

Everyone remotely interested in CG 'NEEDS' to watch his video called 'The Third & The Seventh'

It is one of the true masterpieces from modern day CG artists.

The Third & The Seventh by Alex Roman

Jehú Camacho

Posted on: 14 October 2010 1:20 pm

U guy are great!!!!

Posted on: 12 November 2010 3:55 pm

Posted on: 14 November 2010 6:04 pm

ok ok good

Posted on: 15 November 2010 10:45 am

beautiful works, looking good mood, i like more that natural scenes,

Posted on: 16 November 2010 12:13 am

It's unbelievably realistic.

Posted on: 19 December 2010 10:35 pm

your are a beast!

Posted on: 5 January 2011 11:49 pm

you are really The Best Of the best

Posted on: 15 March 2011 6:16 am

wow, awesome!!!

Posted on: 27 July 2011 10:23 pm

Posted on: 5 October 2011 12:15 pm

My Master... I inspiring myself on your work! Thanks

Posted on: 15 September 2012 3:03 am

Alex Roman will accomplish GW history as the aboriginal apprentice to alum with a amount in the new above that emphasizes administration strategy, administration and communication. The Department of Organizational Sciences and Advice launched the major, which has about 23 students, in abatement 2010.

Posted on: 9 November 2012 10:07 pm

Alex Roman will achieve GW history as the ancient amateur to alum with a bulk in the new aloft that emphasizes administering strategy, administering and communication. The Department of Organizational Sciences and Advice launched the major, which has about 23 students, in abatement 2010.

Posted on: 22 January 2013 10:52 am

Hi there Mr. Seva,

Your work is incredible. I am an interior design student at Virginia Tech and a member of the interview committee for our program. I would love the opportunity to speak with you! If you are interested, please email me at Thank you so much for your time and also for sharing your beautiful work!

Posted on: 22 January 2013 10:52 am