Autodesk 3ds Max 2020.2 Update is focused on bringing you efficiency, speed, and precision.
Building on our recent 2020 Chamfer updates, this release brings you even more enhancements with additional patch and radial mitering as well as improvements to vertex chamfering. New Viewport enhancements present you with automated options, and more realistic viewing to speed up your workflow. The Sketchup importer now supports all new versions of Sketchup files, bringing you performance and visual fidelity improvements.
SketchUp importer update
Now supports all newer versions of SketchUp files
- 3ds Max now supports import of all version of .skp files, up to and including version 2019.
- The new importer is based on the Autodesk Translation Framework (ATF), which is updated with every release of 3ds Max, in order to bring critical enhancements and defect fixes on a regular basis
The new importer also brings performance and visual fidelity improvements.
*Note: although no longer being developed, we will continue to support the legacy SketchUp importer for some period of time, to allow customers to transition their custom tools and pipelines to the new importer.
Chamfer enhancements made from 2020 through to 2020.2 Update allow modelers to work more efficiently and accurately, reducing the need for error-prone workarounds
For the 2020.2 release we’ve added the following functionality:
- Additional mitering types (patch and radial)
- Full support for vertex chamfering
- Chamfering capabilities have been exposed to EditablePoly
- We also updated chamfer algorithms to better handle edge cases, producing more pleasing geometry overall and avoiding degeneracies such as flattening or skewing of edges.
Time-saving and quality improvements with existing Viewport effects
- Image-based lighting (IBL) is now automatic when an environment is added to the scene. This saves time as there is no need to add a skylight to the scene to have to enable this feature.
- Roughness for physical materials is now supported in the viewport in "Realistic" mode.
- The appearance of shadows has been improved and they are now supported in "Default" lighting mode.
- New Automatic viewport background mode is enabled by default and will automatically adjust the background depending on your display mode.
- List controller evaluation is now 15X faster with average weight on or off.
3ds Max now avoids sending duplicate messages to plug-ins using the 3ds Max referencing system. This improves performance in many areas of the software, including:
- Creating keys
- Slate UI
- File Reset
Fit and finish
Various additional updates have been made to smooth out workflow
- Decimal separator improvement - Users from various geographic locations (geos), can now trust 3ds Max to use the decimal separator symbol specified in their Windows regional settings when displaying floating point numbers in the user interface.
- Improvements to selection when using backface culling, which make it easier to select what you need and avoid accidental selections.
- All message boxes have been updated and standardized to have the same look-and-feel and scaling behavior on high DPI monitors.
- All message boxes pause auto-backup, real-time animation playback, and viewport refresh until dismissed, bringing consistency and predictability to the user experience.
- Scripting access for TextPlus "Set Value as Text" functionality added, which offers users greater control with TextPlus from MAXScript.
Python 3 Alert Mode
Will assist in preparing for the Python 2.7 to 3 transition
With mode enabled, users will be informed of exactly which scripts needs to be updated. Both users and automated tool are easily detected as warnings are logged to the MAXScript Listener, the 3ds Max system log file (Max.log) and the console when running 3ds Max Batch.”
*Note: For more information on the transition, see PEP-3000, and the Porting Python 2 Code to Python 3 guide.
Arnold MAXtoA Update
Updates deliver several improvements from Arnold 5.4 Core, the MAXtoA plugin, and Arnold GPU beta, bringing even more speed, power, and flexibility to artist workflows.
Updates to Viewport display of Arnold lights, as well as Alembic, procedural, and texture baking improvements.
General Arnold 5.4 improvements
New shader for section cut render
Alembic 1.7 improvements
Arnold beta GPU improvements
Initial OSL OpenVDB support on GPU
Most lights supported on GPU except IES
*Note: For more information on the transition, see the Arnold 3ds Max User Guide
Consult the 3ds Max 2020.2 Release Notes or 3ds Max Public Roadmap for further information.
Visit the Solid Angle site for more info on the MAXtoA Release Notes.
Visit the 3ds Max Product Portfolio Page on One Team Source for the latest sales tools.