So you've heard about 3ds Max Interactive and you want to get your hands on it, huh?
3ds Max is now combined with 3ds Max Interactive, a powerful VR engine that gives you the ability to go from Max to VR in just a few clicks. If you’re a current subscriber, you'll notice a new Interactive menu when you open 3ds Max 2018.1: this will launch 3ds Max Interactive, our new 3D to VR creative workflow for design viz artists like you.
Ready to take the leap? Starting today, you can download both 3ds Max 2018 Update 1 and 3ds Max Interactive as two separate downloads from your desktop account, provided you're a current 3ds Max, suite or collection subscriber.
Here's how to get set up:
Are you more of a step-by-stepper? Here's a how-to in a few steps:
UPDATE 3DS MAX TO 2018.1
1. Launch the Autodesk Desktop App.
2. Once in the Autodesk Desktop App, open the My Updates menu in the top left corner. Click on Autodesk 3ds Max 2018.1 Update, then click Update to start the download. 3ds Max 2018.1 will automatically install once the download is complete.
3. Don't have the Autodesk Desktop App? No problem. Open up a browser and head on over to your Autodesk Account.
4. Under Product Updates, locate 3ds Max 2018 Update 1 and click Download.
5. Once your download is complete, simply follow the install instructions.
6. Huzzah! You've got 3ds Max 2018 Update 1. Next, go ahead and launch 3ds Max.
INSTALL MAX INTERACTIVE
1. Once 3ds Max is open, you'll notice a new welcome screen.
2. This will open up a browser, where you'll log in to your Autodesk Account. From here, click on All Products & Services (top left) and select the Downloads button on the 3ds Max tab.
3. Next, you'll see a pop-up for all available 3ds Max downloads. Find 3ds Max Interactive and click Download now. Follow the download instructions and click the Install button.
4. From here, you'll open up the 3ds Max Interactive installer. Follow the install instructions, enter your country, accept the License and Services agreement and click Next.
5. You'll need a serial number for this next step, but luckily you've already got one! Use your 3ds Max 2018 serial number from your Autodesk Account and click Next.
6. Once you receive a confirmation that your serial number has been found and activated, click Finish to complete your install. Sit back, relax, stretch, hydrate - oh, wait, it’s done installing already?
7. You'll get a notification once the installation has successfully completed, and now it’s time to launch 3ds Max Interactive.
8. It's happening!
9. Decisions, decisions. Pick the appropriate template for the type of project you want to create.
10… the sky’s the limit! Happy creating.
READY TO GO FROM MAX TO VR?
On Monday, June 12th, we'll be kicking off our journey from 3ds Max to VR. Join us for 10 days of short video power tutorials to get you up and running with VR content creation, and familiar with the tools and terminology.
Bonus: you'll walk away with solid understanding of the fluid workflow between 3ds Max's powerful 3D tools and with the new interactive toolset. Pretty sweet.